Photographer Jerry Weimar will teach a five-week introductory digital photography class starting March 1 at the New Woodstock Library. This photo by Weimar is part of his collection that may be viewed at photos.jerryweimar.com.
By Norm Parry
(New Woodstock, NY – Feb. 2014) An introductory digital photography class will be taught by expert photographer Jerry Weimar at the New Woodstock Free Library Saturdays in March from 9 a.m. to noon, with a 15-minute break. The class is free and open to the public. Pre-registration is not required. The library is located at 2106 Main St. (Route 13) in New Woodstock.
Each class stands on its own, so you are free to attend only the classes that interest you:
1. March 1 – How Your Camera Works: a hands-on intro to exposure and camera controls, using whatever cameras you bring to class
2. March 8 – How to Compose a Good Photograph: an examples-based class to help you “see” a good photograph before you press the shutter
3. March 15 – Question & Answer/ Individual Help: Session No. 1, 9 a.m.: point-and-shoot cameras. Session No. 2, 10:30 a.m.: digital single-lens-reflex cameras.
4. March 22 – How to Digitally Enhance Your Photographs: an intro to Adobe Photoshop Elements, which is an inexpensive and popular software package. May also touch on Corel Paintshop Pro, as a competitive alternative. This class is for everyone.
5. March 29 – How to Process “Raw” Images: An intro to using Adobe Lightroom to process “raw” images. This class is for the serious enthusiast that wants the most from his or her images.
Weimar presented an exhibition of his work at the library in 2012 and taught the 2013 digital photography class. His work can be viewed online at photos.jerryweimar.com. For more class details, visit photos.jerryweimar.com/blog/2014/2/PhotoClass.
Norm Parry is library director for the New Woodstock Free Library. The library is open Monday through Friday from 1 to 5 p.m., Monday and Wednesday evenings 7 to 9 p.m. and Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. The library also is open whenever the flags are flying out front. Children’s hour is every Tuesday at 11 a.m. Find and “like” the library on Facebook. For more information, visit midyork.org/newwoodstock or call (315) 662-3134.